Saturday, October 8, 2011

We found a place!

Front of the house
Our search is over (for the next 6 months)! After looking around at a few different places, and gauging what kinds of places are available, we found two things: 1) there are places that are affordable (~$100-150), but either in need of work, or open to the outdoors, and 2) there are places that are expensive ($250+) that we felt comfortable in. We ended up choosing to sacrifice other expenditures to stay in a place that was $300, that we bargained down to $250 (and got the owner to throw in a few upgrades including a fridge, and mosquito netting!).

So, having found a place, we are now relaxed, and able to focus on our crazy new lives. There's a lot to do at both CORDE and GEMS, and Emily and I are discovering exactly what those things are, and how we can make contributions. our jobs have also converged a bit: I'm assisting a group to test and edit an English Language Learning program - and Emily's teaching an English class, so....of course I'm getting her to test out the materials! :) It's exciting to be testing, creating, and editing curriculum! It's only been a week, but we've both learned lots about language acquisition, and a few different approaches to the learning of language, and how people can develop the ability to "listen with comprehension", and "express their thoughts". Oddly enough, I also have an old book of Umberto Eco's here that I brought with me last time I came to Cambodia. he talks a lot about semiotics, and the link between language and cognition. I sometimes feel like I have serendipity on speed-dial. Heppy times!

Please enjoy more shots of the home and the signing:
Front yard, view from the front door
signing with my thumb!



Navy and I signing, Navy helped us find the place

No comments: