Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Bifday


This day,  an estimated 24 years ago, I was birthed into this tumultuous existence. Legend says I "rolled out", predating Ludacris'  hit song by a good 16 years. I was also a reportedly happy baby, enjoying moments of life, failing to balance myself as I explored the world, and generally being chubby and chill. Not too much has changed, but I am working on having greater balance in life, and Cambodia is taking care of my chubbiness, slowly but surely.

Either way, today, I continued my slave labour for AII, entering all the details for report cards, and ALMOST printing them, except the printers were occupied by others, so I got, how you say, the shaft. I will have to make a special trip in tomorrow, before I depart to Battambang, just to print the report cards, and get my last little bit of pay. Hopefully that all goes A-ok.

I had a svet little birthday party, with a few friends. The complete photos will be on facebookolet, but here are a few key photos:

breaking the fast

eating the dinner avec cat hats

Bringing the cake


blowing out the candales.


After this manner, I had a sweet little 24th birthday party. Tomorrow, we continue the festivities in Battambang, where Prema and I will celebrate a joint birthday on the night of the 11th (her bday is the 12th). I was promised large quantities of mango, and a rooftop party - so the future looks bright (and sweet, and orange). 

I got many sweet and thoughtful messages, which, to be honest, put my birthday-wishing to shame. Apparently, 24 is the year where people get professional with their birthday greetings, and really throw some effort into the well-wishing.

All, however, was not well in the party. It was bittersweet, since we celebrated my departure as well (note: for some, it is entirely possible that this is doubly sweet, who knows? ;) ) This threw the small wrench of awkwardness into the mix, but it was an joyous occasion nonetheless. I even read quotes from African wisdom in a Nigerian accent. Also, as far as food goes, Shaku made chicken curry and palak paneer(but it was with other cheeses), AND banana cake! Delicious!

Tomorrow, I quest out into the wide world of dust, travel, and tenuous internet connections.



These are some new birthday clothes from yesterday's Russian Market trip.

PEACE!

4 comments:

Rushdy said...

Happy birthday CUz! hope u had a blast!

Jems of Joy said...

Spiffy! You look great Ashraf baba.
Your auntie Nahed

Jems of Joy said...

Sorry Ashraf, I unknowingly posted a comment under Jamsie's account. Now I'm legal;)

Anonymous said...

I did it again! Not sure why. Will try to fix it...