Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Nov 26

 Yesterday we went to the Land Transport Department of Phnom Penh to get our Canadian driver’s licenses changed into Cambodian licenses. Pretty mundane stuff, but the ride in and out of the compound was very entertaining. Check out the video (“nov25.016”, or “Land Transport”). The road was so bad that our tuk-tuk got a flat tire! Luckily, there are mini garage/gas-stations everywhere in this city. We pulled across the street only to find that the mechanic was busyL…but our intrepid tuk-tuk driver “took-took” the mechanic’s tools and started repairing the tire on his own! The mechanic was down with it, and only came over to put the actual patch on the tire. Our ride went almost to the airport and back again, different routes both ways, so Shaku and I got a fairly good glance at the city

 (check out the map!)

 

Today I went for my first interview in Phnom Penh! I dressed up all fancy and made my way over a few minutes early. It went fairly well, and I could start as an English teacher on the 20th of December (taking over when the other teachers take a Christmas vacation I guess). This is still a long ways off, but I guess it eases up the pressure (real or imaginary) to get a job for now. To celebrate this glorious event, I went and bought some roadside crepes! Mmmm, tasty – I need to get jobs more often!

Also, my buddy Ryan Duly let me know that my “mug” made it into the Phnom Penh Post – so I’m looking for a way to link to it to show you guys, or maybe I’ll just scan it up. So far the A-Team seems to be doing a good PR job for me in Cambodia! 

No comments: