Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Jan 13

Ahhh! I woke up late today! I set two alarms, one for 6:15 and another for 6:30. The 6:15 one is to turn on the hot water heater, and the 6:30 is the real wake-up-and-start-life alarm. Luckily, I was able to let them know I'd be late, so they wont penalize me at all (they have a great system: 30 minutes or more of total non-informed late time leads to a delay in your paycheque!). My day was a blur of articles and activities, but I felt my energy levels dwindling by lunch time. In order to recharge, I went and got a little sun by the pool...you guys need to come visit, life out here is pretty swetdawgs.

The rest of the day was swet, though tiring (and I haven't even started marking yet!). I met some friends at Warung Bali for Indonesian food, and had a dish called Gado-Gado. It was pretty tasty, but very spicy, so I had to order not one, but two banana-shakes! So good.

Then, best part, I decided to walk home from the riverside (20-15 minute walk) and I met sith (said 'sut') out riding his little cambodian "cyclo". It's the old-school tuk-tuk, with a guy riding a bicycle and a seat on the front of it. He wanted tons of cash, but I gave him a dollar just 'cause he was cool. I insisted that I wanted to walk for a bit, so, to preserve his dignity, and cut down my time, he gave me a ride for a few blocks. He told me stories about pol-pot and the khmer rouge, and how "they have little food, not good my friend, not good". Then he said "now also I have little food, not good also." Rough business trying to give people bicycle rides when there are a million motos and tuk-tuks willing to take you faster and for the same cash. Sith is 52 years old, has 5 kids (who live in the provinces), and has been riding his "cyclo" for 20 years. He blames the vietnamese and the koreans for the sex trade and the drugs, and told me he didn't like the friendship monument (built to recognize the friendship between cambodia and vietnam). I asked him why he didn't switch to motos, but he said "I ride cyclo only, slow is nice, cyclo is good my friend." At least he was in good shape for his age (read: much better shape than me). Cool guy, cool night - I might need a light jacket next time.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ash, gotta love Sooooot and his cyclo. Great slice...
Mom

Amgad said...

Me be loving your blogging.
Me be laughing out loud eh.
(try rapping that!)