Monday, January 19, 2009

the recent past.

Oh to try and recall such precious moments so far after their passing! Regardless, the blog must go on:

Last wednesday and thursday, as far as my already belittled memory serves me, were nondescript (I think things happened - like I know I had lunch with neissan at a cool thai restaurant, forgot to take money shopping, and I slept in the sun by the pool, but, w/e). Friday, however, held great promise in the form of an after-work dinner party with fried's at Jarnah and Beattie's place. It was as delicious, if not more delicious, than the last time. What's more, I actually recognized some of the people there! (almost like real friends!) jokes, obv. Neissan and Nadi engrossed themselves in a chess game while I gorged on tasty treats and social interaction. I shared with them, upon request, this telling anecdote:

I've struggled so far, to win the respect of my students based solely on my teaching method, and hopefully, exciting teaching style. Realizing the folly of my decision, I've recently switched back to relying on beatboxing and timid (but knowing) jokes about teenage romance. Happily, I didn't have to introduce my (can I call it a) talent(?) - I zoned-out while pacing the classroom, and the beats proceeded to trickle out my mouth, loud enough for the class to be staring at me when I turned to find 46 wide-and-wondering-eyes. So now beatboxing is a regular class reward for work well done, and I may soon be able to make a living on private beatboxing lessons alone :P

Saturday was decent, but disappointing. I canceled plans to mark, and then procrastinated like a mad-villain. At least I got to unlock new footballs in fifa. :(

Sunday was better, with the A.R. security council passing a resolution for marking to be completed by the end of the day at yejj cafe. Somehow, breakfast happened, great company was enjoyed (Neissan, Beattie, Jarnah, Nadi, Ryan, Echo(sp?), and their daughter Alanna), but I only managed one pile of marking. As most resolutions from the security council, this one was ignored, or half-completed, in the safety of my home. I set out for the feast at around 5:40pm, and had a great time getting back in touch with the Baha'is of Phnom Penh, after our circumstantially prolonged separation. Avuth and Neissan joined me (/coerced?) at my place to play some settlers of catan. I won twice, but Avuth now gets it, and Neissan is slowly accumulating strategic intelligence about the many ways to win settlers. We drank chocolate soy milk, and ate cookies.

The night didn't end there! oh no, the party raged on: I showed avuth some horrible guitar-playing skills, to which he smiled and approved after the fashion of Baha'is the world-round. Then he intimated his thoughts with the internet while Neissand and I played two games of chess. I marked simultaneously, bringing our new record to 10-1-2. To be fair, Neissan has realized that his weakness is moving before considering the possibilities, and our first game displayed Neissan creating forks, and capitalizing on mistakes like never before. I beat him the next game, but I still think my days of free chess wins are numbered.

Today I navigated the murky waters of ESL education with the assistance of coffee, fresh baguette, mango, and fun staff. Tomorrow I administer the midterms, like so many bandages upon the open wound of complacent copying, and lazy learning.

peace!

(note: I have more marking, and interesting essays, but both must wait till tomorrow)

3 comments:

Rushdy said...

Which Fifa do you play ? :D

Rob H. said...

I cannot believe you didn't mention your ULTRA COOL appearance on "The Sound of Television" !!!!

I am pretty sure you were the first ever guest on a Ryerson radio program live from Cambodia.

(p.s. you can hear yourself on the show at http://podcast.robandfriends.org)

Unknown said...

def playing fifa '09 for the PC. Also, I tend to 'forget to remember' my evenings. So yes, I managed to call in to "The Sound of Television". Man, is there any relevant way to plug my blog on your show? :P

Hey! I'll link your show to my blog! man Anis, why didn't you suggest this earlier?