Saturday, January 3, 2009

New Year!

Dec 31st was a busy day: first I went for breakfast with Sovanarith, the executive director of a little Cambodian NGO that I plan to dedicate some time and effort to; next, I slept, awaking to phone call invitations for lunch, which I eventually accepted; I later went to an indonesian place for lunch avec Jarnah and Beattie and Christine; this was followed by more sleep, and then the new years party.


I had great fun going to the Indian Association of Cambodia's new year's party. Shaku got some tickets from a friend of the family. Unfortunately, my camera battery died while taking the "before" photos, so all I have is the before and after (and some bad cell-phone videos). Basically, we enjoyed Indian food, activities and intermittent dancing. The night was a bit of a gong-show, they had overlooked a few things while planning the event, but it didn't interfere too much with the celebration of the new year. There were not many people my age at the event, but that's ok, because I'm kind of an old man anyway, so it was easy for me to connect to other attendees. We went to a fancy-dancy hotel called the imperial garden hotel. It was ver' swanky, and the room we were in was nice and big, but not big enough for the 80 extra people who came to the door with no tickets!! I had plans to go to go to a place called "the mansion", but I procured a massive headache (presumably by keeping my head craned over my shoulder to look at the stage for long periods of time). So, after some interesting times with the Indian community in phnom penh, we retired for the night.

The first day of the new year was much better, it involved a delicious mango lassie, with real bits of mango(as seen in the photo). This day also saw me constructing some exams for my students. They went over fairly well ( I think), and the classes were actually fun as all the students loosened up after finishing the exams. I'll try not to bore you with details, but exam construction can actually be fun. I took sample questions from their past homework, and edited the names, order and questions. I even gave them a bonus section, wherein they had to place the right question into the blanks of a conversation between Dr.Rushdy and a student. The student had not studied for the exam, and Dr.Rushdy prescribes studying. Also, used the names of some of their classmates on the exam, and I plan to use it a lot more, they were excited to see themselves in the exam, so maybe they'll study so that they can get the question with their name correct, at the very least.

No comments: