Monday, January 26, 2009

Jan 25, 26.

25th was an unfortunate saturday - with loads of exams, I not only slept in, but bartered away my free time in the pursuit of mental relaxation. I needed, and took, a do nothing day.

26th hold much more promise, but was also filled with social contacts of all kinds - one involved Neissan, and this has inevitably brought our running chess total to 14-1-3. I did, however, manage to mark some papers here and there.

Today was a day of action - I woke up at 8 (even thought it's a holiday!) and met with the executive director of CRDA to discuss the website, and some other ongoing projects. We later returned to the Rushdy residence to review and edit a grant application...actually not as bad as some people make it out to be. met Jarnah and Neiss for lunch at.........you guessed it, the dosa corner.

Though it is unrelated in time, I had a revelation a long time ago, and it resurfaced when talking to Jarnah- have you ever noticed how people from the south of a country are dark and from the north are light. What's with that? does anyone know why? It seems like even Europeans from the south are darker than their light-skinned friends on the border below them. Or am I misguided?


I actually marked (I know!) some exams today, but was rudely interrupted by the p-units! They came back from Ethiopia/Kenya and brought me smiles, hugs, and a ver' nice "Hakuna Matata" t-shirt. They have also returned with my camera, so expect a return of stunning visuals to match these breath-taking stories of the life of an expat in Phnom Penh. To the left, you will find an example of one of these stunning visuals - this is the "sad-face" drawn on every unanswered question on every exam. Why, oh why, don't you just guess?

Peace!

4 comments:

Rushdy said...

Easy on the marking ai !! I still remember my elementary school english teacher ! man i can shoot her right now !

Unknown said...

Haha! Salah - I try so hard to give them marks, but when they leave it empty...

Amgad said...

Would the darker South-lighter North observation hold south of the Equator, or would it flip around?

Unknown said...

well, not too sure - that's why I'm asking. I know that in india the peeps in the south are much darker than the north...but the equator is invisible, so I'm not sure where it is. :P