Monday, February 23, 2009

Dreams: I fail to comprehend them.

Of course, in my defense, I don't really invest much time into contemplating them.

Either way, the weekend was fun, but rather than relay mundane (but sometimes exciting!) details, I will instead recount two of my dreams. I had a RANDOM one on sunday morning. So I'm sitting with a bunch of friends in a moxies-like box-restaurant place, and we've just placed our order with the waitress. She's about to walk away, and I grab her arm, and say "wait a minute, wait a minute". So she turns around around, waiting to see what we need. Then the perspective of the dream changes, and I'm back in my body (before I was watching from the outside). All of a sudden, we unanimously burst into a horribly off-key(and tune) rendition of Amazing Grace. No lies. I almost forgot this most random of randoms, but I started humming amazing grace to myself a few minutes after waking, and in that instant, remembered the whole dream again.

The next one was a doozy!! I haven't had too many scary dreams that I can remember, but this one takes the cake. So I was having a conversation with a girl across a room. It was well-lit with sunlight, and I knew the girl (but I don't know who she was), most importantly, i could hear, and recognize her voice. There were a few other voices in the background, but I could only faintly make them out. Then, out of nowhere, someone jacks up the volume on the other voices...I can still make out her voice, but I can also hear snippets of millions of conversations. I seriously think I could distinguish all the conversations at once, but i can't describe what that felt like. Then comes the freaky part: the volume goes up again (I start to hear some heavy high-pitch noise); I get a simultaneous rush of exhilaration and awesomeness, and then all the sounds blend into one deep, rugged, voice (this coming from a man with a deep voice will give you an idea of its depth). It said, and I quote, the three scariest words I've ever heard in a dream, "Ashraf, Ashraf, Ashraf".

SNAP! I woke up in a fit with the words still echoing in my head, looking around me, half expecting to meet God, the Devil, or the Archangel Gabriel face-to-face! It's actually so terrifying to be addressed directly by your own name in a dream (at super-high volume, and super-deep depth). Usually, you have some background noise in your mind, but Monday morning, there was nothing but my name, laced with fear and trembling.

So after this jarring, soul-gripping experience, I obviously assumed the worst, and imagined I was in the beginnings of schizophrenia. Oh, did I mention I was sleeping on the couch (as interLashional is staying with us) and the first crack of light into the house was siting squarely on my face and no other place? Anyway, feeling exhilarated (for some reason) and supremely terrified, I researched voices in dreams from about 6-6:45 in the morning, just to see if similar experiences existed. There are a few, and most of them reported with feelings of being freaked out by it, but I still thought I was going crazy.

It's nearing the end of the midterm, and between marking, reading and writing for the online course, socializing with guests (Lashional & Amy and Roshan), and having crazy dreams, I've been well-short of time for this blog. I have more to say, but it must wait for to-more-ow.

Sweet dreams ;)

1 comment:

Rushdy said...

I would freak the hell out if someone calls my name in a dream!

Who knows, maybe it was Angel Gabriel :p and yes i enjoy freaking you out! Have sweet dreams! Right !:P