Thursday, February 19, 2009

If I was an exam, I'd be a 100% final.

That's right. My recent days have been occupied with, among other things, the construction of finals. It just occurred to me as my fingers hit these keys: that I am a final exam. I'm not a unit test, not a pop-quiz, not a take home exam (they're so easy), and definitely not a homework assignment, or a class presentation. Then I thought about the different kinds of finals I've written, and I think I am a 100% final exam. Let me explain. When you write a 100% final, it doesn't matter what you've done before (and I don't care about what people have done before I meet them - I like to give them all fair chances); at the same time, your evaluation depends on your past preparation and general geniusness. Also, you know you can't sneak away from a 100% final - it tests everything you know; I like to think I examine all aspects of the people I meet. The similarities don't end here, but this paragraph does.


So, lots of exam writing, which mostly involves looking up interesting articles on the internet, and hoping they come with pre-made questions. Jokes, I actually made many of my own questions (all laced with self-reflexive/ironic references). I think more teachers should include references to themselves or students in the test, it seems to make it less intense for the kiddies - maybe I can do a masters in EdPsych on this? Who knows?

My buddy Neissan bought an iPhone the other day, and came over last night to update the software using our free and unlimited internet. Ended up having a nice chat about life, family, and Nigerian pick-up lines. We also conversed about the recent opening of the first Khmer Rouge trial by the international judges. I went and saw the S-21 museum. It's seriously messed up. Like, the kind of brutality that rocks your humanity. Whew, wrote myself into a little negative rut!

Feels like time for a crazy picture.



You see, my step-mom's been in battambang for a few days, so my dad and I are going a little crazy. We eat large lunches, and then ferociously devour fruits for supper. I tried eating cup-noodles one night, but spicy cup-noodles on an empty stomach just isn't that good. Mangoes, however, are awesome all the time. Also, we ate some amazing mystery fruit tonight, I thought it was rambutan, but when I googled rambutan for a picture, a different fruit appeared. Don't worry, I'll do some detectivising, and maybe take you on a virtual tour of the BKK1 marketplace in the process.

Also, not sure if I mentioned, but I got a rash on my leg a few days/a week(?) back - turns out it's nothing serious, just thought i'd inform the world about these ever so important, and often unspoken details of humid-weather life!

Peace!

5 comments:

Lane. said...

If thats the fruit the its Dragonfruit.

Unknown said...

Glad to hear your leg's better!

Rushdy said...

"When you write a 100% final, it doesn't matter what you've done before (and I don't care about what people have done before I meet them - I like to give them all fair chances); at the same time, your evaluation depends on your past preparation and general geniusness."

Well written cuz! Beautiful ! just beautiful!

Unknown said...

Thanks fellas!

I did, in fact, know that I was using a Dragonfruit in the photo, please see the next post for the real mystery fruit.

britta said...

hahahah you look like a cartoon character!