Thursday, April 23, 2009

The 23 of April

Last night I went out for dinner. I went to a place called Gecko Cafe, which is actually kinda high-class for Battambang. I went alone, well, I brought Mr. Gibbon with me, but basically alone. I decided to start off with a mango shake, and see what I felt like after. I immersed myself in the history of the decline and fall of rome, lying on a couch on a balcony in the dusk and dust of Battambang. It was pretty nice actually.

Gibbon is more of a critic of history than a historian- I mean, the man was a great historian, but the best part of the decline and fall isn't the fact-giving, it's the critical commentary and psychological assessment. So good, but I only recommend it if you like words, reading, and have an attention that can span the length and breadth of the roman empire.

Today the work has snowballed, and I all-of-a-sudden have mountains of reading and writing-yay! Today has also seen the dawn of a new era in sugar-cane juicing. I went out for a regular sugarcane juice, and the guy had just abandoned his stall, so I looked for the next closest one and walked over. This intrepid young juicer adds a chunk of pineapple(!) to his sugarcane as he sends it through the grinder. It was delicious.

I'm also getting in the zone for sending and receiving e-mails all the time. I don't know how it is for other peeps, but I used to check e-mails once every now-and-then, and now, I'm receiving e-mails which need prompt responses like every other hour. SICK! but doable.

How's everyone else doing?

3 comments:

Amgad said...

Sounds like you've settled in mighty nicely there, Mr. A. Pardon my ignorance, but does that mean you were formerly drinking pure ground sugarcane juice? Isn't that just, like, sweet water??
And as for email, it's on all the time and while I'm not yet on a regular 2-hr schedule, they do come on a regular basis. Welcome to the 21st century!

Unknown said...

:) thanks amgadino.

As for sugarcane juice, my brilliant cousin, it is far more than "just, like, sweet water"! It's the elusive and delectable flavour of the thing that makes sugarcane juice so desirable. come visit, and I'll treat you to some.

Unknown said...

habibi.... i want those mangoes.. save some for me when i come!!!