Monday, April 20, 2009

We spend the night in the Bangkok airport

We spend the night in the Bangkok airport
we return to Battambang

Quddus and I were exhausted from our Malaysian Adventure, but not so unaware as to miss some malaysian habits that we had picked up. e.g. the occasional use of "lah", and the fact that, even though our plane was listed as open for boarding, we still decided there was enough time to sit down for some lunch before heading through security...actually turned out sweet, since we arrived just as they opened boarding, and we got to board first!(def had our cake and ate it too)

Either way, this post is about the bangkok airport, and how we spent a night in it. Our plan had originally been to contact someone in bangkok, and go chill with them, but in the end, neither of us did any contacting. We tried calling, but after twenty frustrating minutes of trying various coin combinations to get it to work, and then reaching phones that were shut-off (why interlashional, why?), we decided to bail on it and just spend the night. While in malaysia, we had seen ong-bak, and wanted to get it, they were, however, sold out. This turned out to be okay when, to my delight, ong-bak was screened at our restaurant, manging to both fulfill a minor wish, and kill some time. We found a nice corner of the airport to chill in, and then I read one of Quddus' starcraft series novels. The novels are alright, but they always seem like fast-food. I mean, I've been slowly battling my way through the abridged version of Gibbon's ole' decline and Fall of the roman empire, and I finished that novel in a few hours. Still, like fast food, it's fun to eat every now and then.

We bought some snacks, and then decided to take shifts sleeping. I should have seen Quddus' sneakiness a mile away, but he decided to sleep first. I was awake at the time, so it seemed ok. What was not ok, was the temperature of the airport. I ended up having to go outside a few times to warm up, and, eventually, entrust a stranger to look after our bags while I drank a cup of tea and watched a soccer game. In Quddus' defense, he did wake up at one point and offer to take his turn watching, but I had just hit the second wind, so he fell back asleep. After my tea, I fell asleep on a random bench in another level. This freaked Quddus out when he woke up, because we had to catch out bus fairly early on, and I was nowhere to be found. Of course, we eventually met up, and then headed to our bus. It turned out that our clocks were still on malaysian time, so we arrived an hour early for our bus, but this was ok as we caught up on more sleep. the ride back consisted, yet again, of us sleeping all the way back.

And so the glorious conquerers returned to Battambang.

Ah, what fun that trip was.

No comments: