Tuesday, April 14, 2009

We break the fast at several people's homes

We settled in and met Roshan's parents, who had two townhouses side-by-side, one of which they graciously let us use the whole time we were there. They had organized, in the Subang Jaya community, to break the fast at a different person's home each night. It was actually pretty nice to go and meet people from the community at a few different places. We also hosted a night, and by we, I mean Roshan and Quddus, and Roshan's mom, who did most of the organizing. This evening feasting, mixed with giant breakfasts (full of croissants and delectable fruits), was already enough to make me feel like I was eating tons. It turned out that this was to be the preparation for the marathon eating which was to come after the fast.

Either way, we had a nice little family shopping trip, where ryan and I quested for things like brie and proper croissants and grapes. We found them all, and some boursin, which is really wicked cream cheese. I really just wanted ot treat the family to some slightly hihg-priced and extremely tasty breakfast, and so I did. Croissant + brie + grapes was good, but lacked an espresso. I realized that I somehow acquired european tastes in my culturally diverse upbringing.

Oh, I just remembered! Quili (a doctor who lives somewhere in the jungle of highways that is KL), invited us over for dinner. It so happens, that the night before this we had stayed up late, eating at a mamak, and then playing settlers of catan when we returned. I realized that it was already 4;30, or 5, and we eat early in the morning when fasting, so I decided to forgo the sleep. The whole day went by fairly well, I didn't feel bad at all, and managed to fast...but when riyaz and farshad finally managed to drop me off at Quili's place, it was 8, and we still hadn't eaten. So when I arrived, they immediately got me a plate and a drink, and let me go to town on the tasty indian food. I had two servings, and was satiated. Round about this time, quili had developed some kind of allergic reaction on her shoulder, and had to get roshan to give her a shot with a needle. Then, when a few of us were looking at the rash, I started to feel dizzy. The edges of my vision went black, and I actually just lost my balance. Luckily, I fell against the wall and managed to prop myself up. I was also starting to feel sick to my stomach, so dr.Quili had to jump up and be a doctor, giving me kind and soothing words, while I threw up a bit in her toilet. Then, she suggested I go upstairs and rest. I figured it couldn't hurt, and really, after 15 minutes, I felt fine. The final analysis was that I was already a little bit fatigued from lack of sleep, but the blood from my head must have rushed down to the stomach when I ate (after a day of fasting), all coming together to nearly cause me to black out. Ah, the effects of a rockstar lifestyle.


That night I slept at Riyaz and Farshad's place, and Farshad dropped me off at a place called Balakong. Balakong is a nice institute where the KL community holds lots of different kinds of training events and whatever else they might need I guess. I was substituting for a tutor (substitutoring, as I like to call it) who had to go to his university that day. I tutored a Ruhi book 3, with only three participants, but we had fun, and finished up the book, with them practicing their newly acquired children's class skills.

I was pretty happy to be able to do some service on my holiday...and they ended up teaching me how to play a new card game called "cho-tie-tee" which is some dialect of chinese for "the biggest two". I lost four times, then won 5 in a row. Yea!


p.s. I apologize for the lack of photos, but the internet here is terrible.

2 comments:

Amgad said...

sweet story, cuz-A!
(cuz you're a cuz, you're A, and you're an A)

Anonymous said...

yo ahsraf!

nice blogie u got here!
i din knw u knew how to play cho-tai-ti!!
now i miss March more afta reading yr post..

xxx
rOya