Sunday, April 19, 2009

Everyone except ryan and I goes to singapore for a wedding

Everyone except ryan and I goes to singapore for a wedding
I smash ryan's face in an epic game of war
I hang out with Riyaz and Farshad

It was sad to break up the fun of our 10-person group, but we were patient in the knowledge that we would all be reunited to eat mamak and play settlers again soon. Ryan and I were left in the house on our own...this eventually led to us going to the corner mamak, having some tehtahrik, and playing the age-old game of “war”. not sure if you know the game, but war is played by dealing each player half of the deck. Then, at the same time, you flip over the top card: the highest card wins, and the winner becomes the owner of the new card. A “war” happens when you btoh flip the same value-card: in his case, you place three cards face down, and then flip again, with the winner taking everything. This game, as you might imagine, takes forever. I played the most one-sided game of war I’ve ever played...lash didn’t stand a chance. I felt bad about the quickness of my victory. We played another game, with ryan taking me down to two cards, only to see me come back to full strength...it was simply not his day for war.

It was a dramatic game, not only becuase of the various twists and turns, but becuase we had been chatting about the rise and fall of empires, and how they relate to the presence or absence of religious teaching, and it began to storm. So imagine that, we’ve been talking about the rise and fall of great empires, there is violent thunder and lightning all around us, and then, we sit down to play “war”. Ah, great times. Just when it looked liek I could beat ryan again, he was saved by Farshad soming to pck me up.

I went to Farshad’s class, posing as an interested student. I got to see some cool 3D product design stuff, and then riyaz came and convinced me to go get supper while farshad finished up his class. We had tasty tasty arab food.

It was good to recconect with Riyaz and Farshad, I:ve know the guys since I was 7, and it’s rare for me to get to see friends from the past. I had chats withboth of them about life, and it’s incredibel how different our lives have been. What’s interesting is the spiritual connection, the common tie to the Baha’i faith that we all have: even though we’re more or less involved or aware, or active, we’ve all had our experiences shaped by our relationship to the faith. I may dive into this in detail sometime in the future.

Either way, good times chillin’ with the boys till one fine day, the party returns from Singapore.

No comments: