Sunday, April 19, 2009

We play futesol

We play futesol
Amy and roshan delay their departure long enough for us to hang out a little more (also long enough for us to film a music video)

“What is this ‘foote-sawl’?”, you may be wondering. Well, wonder no more, it is simply soccer in a cage. I know, everything is more exciting in a cage, and this maxim holds true for futeball. I brought a pair of runners along specifically for this occasion, unfortunately, the advertisement lied, and I couldn’t run faster, jump higher, or score more goals than in any other pair of shoes. My play was dismal. It was still fun running around a small and netted/caged area, calling out to teammates, and pretending to know what was going on. We later went for mamak. good times.

The music video.
After going to so many mamaks, but before going to Perhentian, I made some joke rhymes about going to the mamak. When I discovered that Manesh was a director (we got to see a screening of his film “baby let it rain”...or “baby it will rain”, or something like that), I immediately decided to ask him to direct the mamak music video. Upon actually asking him, and seeing the excitement in his eyes, I realized that I could no longer back out of making the music video without some serious damage to his expectations. This was good, and likely a sub-conscious plan devised to secure my commitment to the project. So on perhentian, I finished the first verse (and I asked alfred to do one as well). Then, on the way back from perhentian I started the second, and finished it only on the day of the actual filming.

There was rhyme (but no reason) as we proceeded to hack out a plan for the music video, roshan, ryan, manesh, alfred, and I all sat at Roshan’s, wondering what we should do for this video. amy had to go drop off Nasrin and Glory (who were visiting from England), so we lost our two backup dancers/female extras/likely backup singers...AND we lost amy. Luckily, things were delayed long enough that Amy made it back in time to film the first scene. The whole project looked like it might die out at any moment from the time that it started, and I gtive my sincere thanks to everyone for keeping the dream alive, and making it happen. (seriously, we got a BEAT for the song a few hours before shooting, and recorded on ryan’s little portable mic, and ryan had to make some last-minute time-adjustments to the song in garageband, with nothing but the full, bounced song file.).
Manesh and Roshan had a sketch of a story, and a makeshift shot-list, and we were off! The rest of the evening is history, and will be immortalized on youtube, available for public consumption as soon as the last few edits are done (thanks amy!).

This was, of course, all possible because amy and roshan prolonged their stay in malaysia by a few days. Thanks guys!

6 comments:

Ayda said...

By Glory,you mean Grace?!! yep?

Unknown said...

Oh man, yeah, I do (sorry Grace...if you read this).

Ayda said...

Lol... Psycholinguistics explains such mistakes! :D

mimpiiii said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
rOya said...

Freudian slip of the tongue i'd say that was!
so.. who's this Glory girl ei Ashraf? :p

Unknown said...

Haha! pretty sure she's grace's sister...but my memory is very bad for familial connections in India.