Monday, May 18, 2009

Business and other business


Business, small-business, entrepreneurship - been on my mind for a while. The first idea in Cambodia, as our avid, original readers know, was the fabled "Look-Look at my tuk-tuk" tuk-tuk company. Lacking funds, market research, drivers, and the inclination, this venture never left the planning stages (and truly, never even entered the realm of 'the possible'). There is, however, a new idea; a shining beacon of hope on the small-business horizon. I won't say what it is quite yet, (though the observant among you may know already), but it could be very sweet.

This master's program keeps getting delayed, but that's ok, I have been told I was a little too excited and gung-ho when I started off, and really need to let the program grow organically instead of jumping in with the NOS on....so I will. Lets see what happens.

Yesterday I started reading "The Quest for Meaning" by Oswald Hanfling...so far it's all right. He's not making any big claims or anything, just going through and refuting both people's claims to meaning, and claims against. In the second chapter, for example, he emphatically disagress with Shopenhauer's assertion that "life is pain", or that pain and sadness are the positive realities, and happiness and helath are the lack of the former. Somehow, I got thorugh philosophy not reading any SHopenhauer (that I can remember), and reading his views sheds some light on my philosophy/comp-lit friends.

As a quick aside, in most western universities, Comparative Literature is really just another name for Continental Philosophy.

Last night I finally finished ruhi-book-6 with Seng-Tchie...I'm really tempted to make him a certificate and frame it or something.

This morning, the 19th of may, I met Seng-tchie for the second of what we hope to be regular dawn-prayers. It's nice to wake up with the sun, and I enjoy starting my day by renewing my spiritual focus. Really, nuch of life is perspective, and that's part of why saying me prayers in the morning and at night are so critical - the constant renewal of perspective.

After showering, etc. I decided to go grab breakfast (my usual coconut). While enjoying the suppple meat of a young coconut, I recieved a call form Melvene, who was in great distress, "oh my God Ashruf, I locked myself een!". Through my laughter, I managed to convey that I would come back ad give her my keys. Supremely embarassed, Melvene asked me not to tell anyone. Of course, I threatened to put the story up on the blog (which very few people from battambang read anyway)..and have now followed through with my threat. Ah life, aint it wonderful?

No comments: