Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Two things:
1. I got to eat a street-waffle
2. I got to roll with the gangstas

1. I was out for a walk on my last day in Phnom Penh, going to pick up an ill laptop. My long-legged pace was faster than that of the burdened hawker, pushing his cart in front of me. I think the quickness of my pace frightened him a bit (as I had been gaining on him for a while. So he stops and turns to see who is following him. When he sees the shiny-whiteness of my skin, he jumps on the opportunity to sell me a waffle. Unbenkownst to this fortunate young man, I, of all random foreigners, have been patiently waiting for the day when fate would smile on me and deliver into my grasp an authentic street waffle. Yesterday was that day. 1000 riels and a few steps later, both the hawker and myself were happily about our business.

The waffle was like eating air encased in sugar, with hints of flour and egg.

2. Rolling with the gangstas
The Bus up to battambang offered me a special bus driver. This guy was like a greyhound bus driver from the 70's (if it was even a bus company then). He was great: Giant aviators, work clothes worn like he was born in them, cigarette hanging out the side of his mouth at every stop. Too cool. Then, he only got cooler when he showed his khmer dj skills over the bus's sound system.

Listen to this, and be reminded of the deep bluesy-folksy clasicness of it.



Now imagine it dubbed in khmer. SO GOOD! In between my sleeps, I was highly entertained by the most gangsta of all Capitol Tours bus drivers.


Somehow, driving back to Battambang this time felt like traveling to Cambodia for the first time.

1 comment:

dan jones said...

DUDE.
that is so damn bitchin'