Saturday, May 16, 2009

The week that was

Warning; this blog will contain several disjointed blog-entries:

1. I was propositioned last weekend by a man-woman on the way home at 11:30 PM. At a distance it looked like there were two khmer girls walking in the park, then, as the distance shortened, I realized that they were dressed like nasty nasty hookers. Then, when I got even closer, the man-woman asked me where I was going and if I wanted "sexy-massage". SICK!! I felt gross just being asked that.

2. Battambang had a sweet teaching campaign. We went around and xplained the Baha'i Faith to a bunch of peoples, and they recieved it well, and are gonna join us in the daunting task of unifying mankind, and uplifting the peeps of the world!

3. I went down to Phnom Penh again, with Quddus this time. Got my Dad and bonne-Mere a present (for all the times I couldn't get them one before), and Quddus bought himself a camera.

4. I went to the only shopping mall with escalators in Phnom Penh, and Quddus showed me where he buys movies, and we played several games of DOTA. Which is both the epitomy of nerd and as a result, great fun.

5. It's decided, I love passionfruit. everyday that I've eaten one has seemed surreally exciting and joyous. Passionfruit is my new drug of choice.

6. We got to stay at Beattie's place, and drive her moto around. This has been GREAT fun. We were consequently pulled over by the police becuase I am white (and we possibly had our lights on) and had our first Cambodian currupt cop experience! The guy actually took my license, and then told me that I had to either pick it up at the police station, or pay the cops right there to get it back. In an uncharacteristic act of defiance (since my sense of justice was insulted), I grabbed my license back, pointed to the "handicap international" sticker on my helmet (since I know that HI works with the traffic police), and told the guy that I was claling the head of HI to get clarification before I payed anything. In reality, I called my QC advisor, Ryan Duly, who listed the three possible lines of action when stopped by the police:
1) you skillfully negotiate your release.
2) You neotiate a (hopefully) small payment.
3) You tell them you're calling the chief of police

I had apprently pulled a mashup of 1) and 3), which did, in fact, deliver us from the greedy claws of corruption. In fact, they relesead us as soon as I started describing the situaiton to Ryan.

7. I had some espressos. Hoorah!

3 comments:

Rushdy said...

HELLLLLLLLLLLLOOOOOO.. NOT ONLY DID A COP MESS AROUND WITH A RUSHDY! BUT NO NO.. AN EGYPTIAN :S ARE U KIDDNG ME!!

Emily Aurora said...

#2 tres exciting. we need more unifiers in this world so much!

#5 agreeed. you should look into some p.f. smuggling; we need more in this part of canada. you could probably stuff a teddy bear with them and send it in the post perhaps...

Unknown said...

Cousin: I know Habibi, they didn't realize what they were getting themselves into!

Emily: Canada is strict on what foods can make it into the country, but I think your plan may...bear fruit? oh man, bad puns everywhere.